Saturday, August 18, 2007

I [heart] NY, but not its rental market

Sometimes--particularly when I'm looking for an easily accessible, bank-operated ATM, or to hail a cab in more than one or two areas of a city, or when I'm walking through a sketchy place where the homeless and drug addicts are plentiful and usually peeing on the street--I find myself missing New York City. To dampen this longing, it helps to read articles like "Lessor Evils" in New York magazine. Fact: The average monthly rent in Manhattan for a one bedroom apartment is over $2,700. Thank you, NY mag, for that reality check.

I'm off to enjoy my more reasonably-priced den in San Francisco, peeing crazies and all.

(Picture caption: Pre-war building on Upper East Side. Two story unit, airy roof with great views, charming bullet holes. $5300/month. Must earn 73,652 times the monthly rent and have a guarantor from each of the fifty states and every U.S. protectorate to pre-qualify for pre-approval. Open house on Sunday from 12:43 to 12:46 p.m. NO PETS.)

1 comment:

Gina said...

Bravo, Vox Dixit!