Monday, October 8, 2007

So much opera, so little time and money

Another opera season, another year of regrets at all of the productions I can't see because I'm not independently wealthy and don't have a private jet (Disicipulus Legis is working on the wealth and private jet part of that as I type as she studies her Tort Law and Practice book). Don't get me wrong; SF has plenty of good opera that I'm excited about (ARIODANTE!), but there's a lot of operas playing in other cities that I'd like to see, too. Atop that list is Carmen at New York City Opera. The production stars mezzo-soprano Beth Clayton. I last saw Ms. Clayton as Amastre in a NYCO production of Xerxes a few years back, and a finer "Se cangio spoglia" I have not heard, nor a more convincing en travesi performance I have since seen.



That's Clayton, at left, as Octavian in Der Rosenkavalier. Note to San Francisco Opera: Please produce Der Rosenkavalier during the 2008-2009 season and be sure to cast Clayton as Octavian. Thanks.

No comments: