Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hillary for President

I've been having a hard time putting into words what has made me so sick to my stomach about the rush to support Barack Obama, especially in the wake of the Iowa primary. But, an op-ed in the New York Times today captured my thoughts perfectly:

"But what worries me is that he is seen as unifying by his race while she is seen as divisive by her sex."

Thank you, Gloria Steinem, for putting my finger on what's been making me so angry about Obama supporters.

Politics, especially presidential elections, are a life-sucking topic, so I will blog about it no more, but I will make this prediction: if Obama is the Democratic nominee, a Republican will be elected president in November. Progressives rely on voters who don't end up voting (remember how well going after the minority and youth votes worked for Kerry?) and overestimate the general electorate's tolerance on any number of issues, especially their tolerance of a black guy whose middle name is Hussein.

No comments: