Friday, September 7, 2007

Daytime TV rots your brain

Seeing as how I am currently unemployed, I have the opportunity to watch a lot of daytime TV. Maury (trashy, yet not fake like Jerry) is my favorite secret guilty pleasure, followed by Montel (trashy, but with a veneer of respectability--except when Sylvia Browne is on), then the divorce court shows, and then the small claims court shows (not trashy enough with too much fake outrage from the "judges").

Anyway, the longer I go without working the more I find myself being drawn into the "career college" commercials they play continuously throughout the day. Maybe I would make a pretty darn good mechanic. Become a massage therapist? Hey, why not. It seems lucrative. Dental assisting? Seems more rewarding than being a freelance writer (which is like pulling teeth, but like pulling your own teeth... without Novacaine). What I truly wonder is if it's really as easy as the commercials make it out to be. Do these places really have lifetime job placement assistance? If they do, does it work? And, more importantly, why does "career services" at NYU's journalism department seem to consist of a few crappy web pages with broken links?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those "career college" commercials always remind me of a story an actor once told me. He was studying at DeVry, then dropped out to pursue acting, then a few months later, was hired to act in a DeVry commercial. That always makes me laugh. -Bing