Saturday, September 29, 2007

Opera at the ballpark

For my birthday, Discipulus Legis treated me to sitting for three hours outside in the cold. Yeay! Why did I enjoy this so much? Because it was at San Francisco Opera's "Opera at the Ballpark" event. SFO simulcast Camille Saint-Saens's Samson and Delilah to AT&T Park (where the SF Giants play) and it was pretty awesome. We sat on the field, not too far from the right field foul line, during the first act (and then moved into the stands for the second and third acts because Discipulus Legis is not used to the cold), ate garlic fries, and enjoyed the festive atmosphere.

People were running the bases and dancing in the infield, and during the second intermission there was a "Take Me Out to the Opera" sing along. The lyrics were something like, "Take me out to the opera, take me out with the crowd/Buy me a seat at the opera house/I don't care if it's Mozart or Strauss/Cuz' it's root, root, root for the divas..." and so on. It was very clever. Kudos to the person who rewrote the words). There were also little fan signs that said "GO SAMSON!" on one side and "GO DELILAH!" on the other. I always root for Delilah, but it never turns out well for her in the end. Oh well. Anyway, it was a fun night all around and an awesome birthday treat.

Video from the event. The sound was pretty amazing (especially if you like opera being blasted from big speakers, which I do):



Panoramic view from the stands:

1 comment:

VoxDixit said...

Happy birthday, VoxDixit!